Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Dear Diary: October 16th

Hey Diary!
What a great time I'm having at my new job! My only regret is that I'm just too busy to tell you about it more often.
It did take a while, but I am finally starting to feel comfortable in this new position which was at least partially due to my finally being allowed to sit on a cushioned chair and a regular desk in an office. My bosses apologized profusely about my having to work in the receiving area in and among boxes, packing tape and piles of bricks for the first month. I told them not to worry, as I figured it was just part of an initial "feeling out" period that I was quite happy to endure. Happy is almost definitely the wrong word to use, but I didn't want them to think that in any way was I unhappy here as a book I once read told me how important it was to do whatever you had to do and say whatever you had to say to make your bosses happy.
To be honest, diary, I did have a few low moments where I did consider either complaining or quitting, but I persevered as I remember my dad always telling me about the benefits of working hard and putting my head down, which I did continually and I have the bruises and cuts from the bricks as proof. I should also thank the series of inspirational posters I put on the wall for strength. As you know, inspirational slogans, especially when written in bold letters on colourful posters, have always confused me and helped me through tough times.
Since I've been in my office, a few of my co-workers have been playing a prank on me - an innocent "new guy" hazing ritual that I'm sure they all went through themselves when they first started. Everytime they see me, wherever I happen to be - at my desk, eating lunch, photocopying - they ask me "what are you doing here?" followed by "you have five minutes to vacate the premises" followed by threatening to call security.
In the end, alarms would sound, security would arrive, frisking would occur and my proof of employment was produced and everyone would walk away shaking their heads in disbelief. Oh diary, what a bunch of jokesters I am so lucky to call my workplace colleagues! I wanted to refer to them as friends, but they had me sign a number of forms in triplicate legally barring me from doing so.
This past Friday was my first staff social - a beer and pizza night at a local restaurant. I was so ready to kick back and relax and enjoy hanging out with the others after a bit of a stressful week full of rapidly approaching deadlines. True, I haven't been given any actual assignments at the moment aside from licking and sealing envelope after envelope as well as keeping an eye on the envelope supply and ordering more envelopes when the supply is low. It is fairly easy, but I am taking the job seriously as I want to show everyone that my skills are not limited only to tasks involving envelopes and I am ready for more responsibilities.
The social was fun! I went in with a commitment not to drink too much beer as I didn't want to make a fool of myself so early in my employment period, but I sort of lost track and may have had a few too many as a number of photos circulated over the weekend and the next few weeks with me doing my mime-trapped-in-a-Russian-gulag impression, talking to the coat rack and eventually being convinced to buy life insurance from it, attempting to french kiss the plastic cactus on the table, frantically swatting away what I thought were bats and literally cutting the rug.
But, it was all in good fun and I love that I am really starting to feel like part of the team here at work! If we were a football team, I wouldn't be the starting quarterback or even one of the defensive lineman. No, not yet. I would be the back-up placekicker with the heart of gold who is supporting the others with good spirits and cheerleading and back rub after back rub after back rub and I am just waiting for my turn. I know that my turn will come and I am ready. I am so ready. Diary, my readiness is almost impossible to describe in words, but not quite as evidenced by these words I am writing to you right now.
I have a huge file of advertising ideas and plans and the file is almost bursting at the seams. I know, I know, I should have invested in a better file in the first place! And who has even heard of a file with seams in the first place? But I was young and naive when it came to buying files and I was just ready to tackle the advertising world as I announced loudly and even took out a radio public service announcement stating as much. Later on I grew to learn that the metaphor of tackling a world made little to no sense and only made others a little worried and on edge around me. I always thought others being on edge around me was silly, considering how round and edge-less a person I am.
I know that I just have to keep working hard and my day in the sun will come, as well as my day to lead some projects and do more than just be in charge of the envelopes. I know I can do this diary and I know I am not the black sheep as my older brother always referred to me and coloured on me while I was sleeping.
I know I say it nearly every time I write, but I need to exercise! My body is starting to resemble that of a jellyfish both in colour and texture. I need to either get up early and run or go to the gym after work. I also need to clean more often as I have been way too lazy with my cleaning and it is just so depressing coming home to such a mess each day that the other day I was in such a state of frustration that I came this close to throwing everything out the window onto the street. Lucky for me I am still living in a basement, so throwing things out the window up onto the street is harder and more exhausting than it sounds.
Everything will work out, diary! I have no doubts at all.
The next time I write, i hope to have some great news about work and life!
take care
Rachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment